Wildcat Creek Brick Company

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My first try at salt glazing. Very cool!

I fired a few quickly made pieces of red clay pottery and tiles. It took about 7 hours total to fire. Let it cool down overnight and the next day, then unloaded it. Over the last hour of firing, I added about 20 lbs of rocksalt to the firebox while stoking the fire. About 2 cupfulls at a time. This is how it turned out! I will have to consider placement of the pots and tiles next time.
I am wondering if I could place the same pottery back in again facing the other side to complete the glaze. I will let you know if it works out.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts, comments and ideas. Please no spam or flaming messages. It is a family friendly blog, so no foul langauge please.