Wildcat Creek Brick Company

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Firing results from the brick clamp kiln.

As promised, some photos of fired brick and tile from my latest kiln. It worked very well for a first firing. I have some cold spots and hot spots to improve on next firing. I think nothing will change with the kiln design for now. I will modify how I push the hot coals around in the firebox and stoking in the later stages. Its a learning process, but Im excited about this. Looks like it should be alot of fun!

Monday, May 16, 2011

First firing of the brick kiln at Canal Park.

We had our first firing of the brick kiln at the Wabash and Erie Canal Park in Delphi, Indiana friday and saturday. Thankfully the rain didn't come as had been forcasted. All went well and the firing from start to finish took a little over 26 hours. The kilns hunger for wood wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be either. We went through about half of the wood I had set aside for the firing. In total, about 120 bricks, 50 tiles, and 30 clay coasters were loaded inside.

My pyrometer temp sensors wern't in the best locations as they didn't seem to reflect temps I was observing in the kiln. So next time they will be relocated.

Today I will be going out to break it open and see the results of all the hard work. I will post pics and results soon.