Wildcat Creek Brick Company

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas firing challenge and success

I had been planning to fire up my kiln on Christmas day for a week now. I wasnt sure I was going to be able to stick with it after I injured myself on my left hand on Christmas eve. After a trip to the ER and 5 stiches later, I decided to very carefully go on ahead with the firing. With the help of my wife Jackie, my two sons William and Daniel, and their good friend Brandon, I was able to keep the firebox stoked the needed twelve hours. Even with the wind blowing and temps outside dropping into the upper 20s F they helped me with little complaint. Thanks to all of them for the hard work.

I realy like the salt glaze effect on this candlestick holder. Grey green maybe from the bottle glass dust mixed in with the local Flora clay I am using on these.

My chimney flame arrestor had been working great! No more visits from concerned neighbors or the local police over flames shooting out in full view. lol

I enjoyed using my newly purchased pyrometer off Ebay. I still need to discover the correct location in the chamber to place the thermocoule probe. I was getting readings from it far below the actual temps I knew I was reaching. I must of had it in a cold spot out of the main flow of heat. Better luck next time.

Tiles and bricks came out great! Only lost two tiles to cracks. the white brick and pots are from the streambed creek clay. The low iron content make salt glaze not work well at the temps I can reach. I had much better flow this time thru the chamber for the gases. I found that stacking the bricks longwise to the exit flue with 3/4 inch gaps works good. Much less smoke in the barn this time! I will try to post some more pics of what came out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts, comments and ideas. Please no spam or flaming messages. It is a family friendly blog, so no foul langauge please.