Wildcat Creek Brick Company

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Xenia schoolhouse.

This little old schoolhouse is only about 5 miles from my home. It is at a crossroads of two rural county roads and the only thing left of the small town of Xenia in Carroll county, Indiana. What I find interesting is that it is so small, yet a two story structure. Why was it made this way? Most schoolhouses of the time were bigger one room, one floor structures. Any thought as to that? Ive seen the map for this town in an old book my dad has for Carroll county. If I can find the picture of the old plate map for the town of Xenia, I will post it here for you to see.

Another thing I noticed. Ive seen this before on other old brick buildings. The brick about a foot above the ground is weathered and peeling away. Im sure its from the cold and water freezing in the brick. But why at that exact height? Why not all the way to the ground? I know that when I build my garage with my brick, I will have a concrete wall from the foundation slab up about 1.5 to 2 feet so I can avoid this brick damage. Anyone out there that can explain more about why it happens like it does here?


I put this post together from memory of when I was a kid and had seen the old maps of the county. I couldnt find the books so far and was starting to doubt myself. I went online searching for info on the town of Xenia in Democrat township of Carroll county. On all of the later maps, say maybe 1880's and later, Xenia doesnt exist. But on one map it showed the image of a town layout at the crossroad where Xenia was without labeling it as such. Then I finally came across an older map from 1852 which vindicated my childhood memory. There it was printed out, Xenia!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts, comments and ideas. Please no spam or flaming messages. It is a family friendly blog, so no foul langauge please.