Wildcat Creek Brick Company

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Diagram of my kiln flame path

Here is a picture of how I see the flame and hot gas flow in my flora kiln. Notice the pottery in the areas that achieve the salt glaze are highlighted in light blue. I am thinking of closing off the rear most firebox exit ducts into the ware chamber to force the hot gasses to travel across the lengths of pots more.
Any thought or suggestions are welcome. You may need to click on the picture to zoom in and see the details.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Richard,
    Most impressed with your drawing of the kiln. I can see some things that would cause the problems of uneven salting and temperature that you have mentioned, but you have some really interesting design ideas in there too.

    Currently you've got a firebox that is more suited to an updraft kiln, but a chamber and chimney that wants to be cross draft.

    I will Email you a drawing with some possible changes that you could try that should help the chamber reach a better overall temperature. I'm just about away to bed now though as is nearly 11 at night, so you probably will hear from me in another day or so.

    Thanks for putting the drawing on your site so quickly, it is good to have a better understanding of what your kiln is up to.

    Best Wishes, P.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts, comments and ideas. Please no spam or flaming messages. It is a family friendly blog, so no foul langauge please.