Wildcat Creek Brick Company

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Time for a change. Building kiln 5

Ive settled on changing my kiln yet again. I have never really been happy with the way the flora kiln heated up. The kiln never reached good glazing temperatures. It may be the way the crossdraft was positioned from the firebox. Or it may be that the firebox was too small in comparison to the ware chamber. Not sure. The new plan is to build a new firebox ontop of a larger ash pit. I also will be making the new pot chamber smaller. I think if the firebox is a bit bigger and the ware chamber halved in size it should speed up the firing and hopefully peak temperature. After all, I was reaching higher temps in my volcano kiln. So here goes!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughts, comments and ideas. Please no spam or flaming messages. It is a family friendly blog, so no foul langauge please.